Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Reason #8239 why I love blogland

Because I get a surprise email from a blog friend introducing me to a song I'd never heard of before and instantly fell in love with.

"To Me" by Matthew West



Well it breaks my heart
Every time I see the world break yours in two
You know those lies ain't true
But when you let 'em get to you,
Being you is hard to be, I see.

These days sticks and stones
Sound like paradise
Compared to those harsh words
They'd rather cut you down than hold you
But they don't know you like I know you
If they did I know they'd see,
Yes they would see...

To me you are
Heaven's finest invention by far
So much brighter than the brightest star
And what I'd give to make you see
Who you are to me

All your so called friends
Said they'd be there till the bitter end are gone
But I won't be just like the others
I'm gonna show you my true colors
You can't ever make me leave
No, no, I won't ever leave

To me you are
Heaven's finest invention by far,
Even brighter than the brightest star
And what I'd give to make you see
Who you are to me

When you laugh it's my favorite song
And all the gray is gone
Every single time I see you smile,
I just haven't seen it in awhile

So go on and dream
Bigger dreams than this town's ever seen before
There are just two kinds of people:
Ones who say you're just not able
And the ones who change the world
And you're gonna change the world

To me you are
Heaven's finest invention by far
Even brighter than the brightest star
And what I'd give to make you see
Who you are to me

Uh yeah. Wow. So many thoughts that this song inspired...

First was "Whoa. If I could pick a song that I could imagine Matt singing to me, one that sums up our friendship, this would be it." (I know I've talked about him a lot this week, just hang in there.)  The first half of the song (to 'No I won't ever leave') reminds me so much of all the support he's given me, all the times he's reminded me that no matter what anyone else has said or done, he's not going anywhere, how sorry he really is that so many people have hurt me.  I think of how he believes in me when no one else seems to.  It reminds me of how he really does know me better than anyone.  It makes me remember how so incredibly lucky I am that God put a friend like him on this earth for me. 

The second half (from 'all your so called friends' to the end) is what I would say to Matt.  I really am going to be there "till the bitter end" for him, through all the girls and drama and stress and craziness, I'll be there.  Unlike anyone else, he lights up my entire world when he's around because he is always happy, always smiling, always funny.  Also, this boy has so many dreams, dreams his family doesn't believe he can reach.  He wants to move to California when he graduates in December to go to a music school.  His family doesn't want him to.  I seem to be the only one who thinks he can and he should.  He's unbelievably determined.  I can totally see him doing whatever he wants, moving anywhere (though I honestly have no idea what I'm gonna do when he's in California :p).  Sometimes I feel like his biggest fan, because we're so close.  We both want each other to have the world.  (Okay, this is the end of the Matt talk, I promise!)

The second thing that really hit me about this song was this:
So go on and dream bigger dreams than this town's ever seen before. There are just two kinds of people: ones who say you're just not able, and the ones who change the world. And you're gonna change the world .

THIS is what I want for myself.  I want to change the world.  Swansboro is such a ridiculously small town.  I've been surrounded by basically the same people in this town since I was 4.  Thus, they know the basics of all my medical issues.  Most of them expect me not to do much with my life (trust me, some of them have told me).  In fact, one of my old teachers told me he was surprised to hear I was still in college because of everything.  Sweet, huh?  I want to go to grad school in DC and then eventually move to Europe.  I have so many plans, plans that are worlds bigger than this bubble I've been living in.  And I'm going to go chasing after them.

Let me know what you think of the song! And THANK YOU Laura A. for sending it to me!

(And yes, this post took me a long time to write because I have the song on repeat. In case you were wondering. :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment