Sunday, October 2, 2011

We southerners know how to EAT.

Today was good.  Very good.  Long, yes, but still very good.

Hooray for me actually getting up on time, because I certainly did not want to.  I got up at 7:00 and turned my shower on because it takes a ridiculously long time for it to heat up.  I laid back down but didn't really sleep for 15 minutes.  Then, I took a shower, got ready, ate, cleaned a little bit.  Holly arrived approximately 9:20, and to my surprise, her boyfriend, whom I had yet to meet before today, was with her.

Michael is awesome.  He is such a dork, but that's a good thing.  He's full of ridiculously stupid riddles and if he was awake, he had me laughing.  Personality wise, he reminds me a lot of Matt.  We got along great.  Oh and those riddles? Well, uh here's Exhibit A: 
What's black and white, black and white, black and white?
Answer: A penguin rolling down a hill.
What's black and white and laughing?
Answer: The penguin that pushed him.
Stupid? Oh yes.  But this morning, I thought it was hilarious.  Really, though.  He's awesome.  Super polite, good manners, and seems to absolutely adore Holly, as she does him.  All in all, he passed the sister test. :)

I called Mom on the way and found out that Blake is still in tons of pain because he still has two ear infections despite being on antibiotics all week, which meant she couldn't come. So say a prayer that the poor boy gets better soon. :(

We arrived at this freakin' GIGANTIC golf resort convention center right at noon, only to be told  that the party for my Great-Aunt Dinah was actually in the equally gigantic building next door.  My Uncle Ed (Dinah's husband, they're the two that pay for me to go to Campbell) built the entire resort.  No wonder they had the party here! :)  And it's a little crazy to think that this is just one of I-don't-know-how-many resorts he's built.  It's a little surreal to know I'm related to people this rich! :p

It was good to see all the extended family, but it was a bit of a headache to remember which people belonged to each of my Grandma Frances and Aunt Dinah's siblings (and there were a LOT of siblings), and who their kids were, and the spouses and on and on and on.  When do you don't sleep more than once a year, sometimes not even that much, and then you stick 80 of them in a room together, it's a little difficult to remember how you're all related.  Haha!

One good thing about being a part of this family?  We all, rich or poor, know how to throw a party!  The key? Food.  I've never been to a region/country that loves food and knows how to eat well as much as the South.  :)  There was salad, fried chicken, ham, mashed potatoes, baked macaroni and cheese, green beans, bread, and collard greens.  Your typical good old-fashioned Southern meal.  Let me tell you, it was DELICIOUS.  And then there was cake.  I don't know what was so special about this cake, but it was insane (in a good way), so moist and with awesome chocolate frosting.  Mmm mmm mmmmm.

I managed to get a few pictures today.  They're not very good quality, so I blame Michael, since he took them all. :D  But they're still sweet, and should be documented.

I knew I should've gotten another one with a flash, but Michael insisted it wasn't necessary. Oh well. Yay sisters!

Me, Holly, and our Uncle Mark (Dad's older brother)

us with our Grandma Frances

me with my cousin Emily's (Mark's daughter) daughter Ava. she is such a sweet girl!

And just because I think it's cute, a picture of the two lovebirds :)
Now, I have to go finish reading a chapter for my History quiz tomorrow.  I'm glad I got almost all my homework done yesterday because I am really tired!
Yay for short weeks!  Fall Break is this Thursday and Friday, and that makes me really happy! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment