Friday, October 28, 2011

Technology is awesome.

How often do you get to see a choir from Kenya in Nashville sing a song from The Lion King live?

The answer: Once, if you were on livefromthestationinn.com earlier tonight.

The Vespers are playing a show tonight.  Literally.  Like right now. 

And I'm watching it.  Because technology is awesome, and some of their friends are livestreaming the show.

And they met a choir from Kenya last night at some function, and that choir agreed to come for their show and perform.

And it was awesome.  The whole audience was in awe, and then cracked up laughing when this amazing group busted out into "Nants ingonyama bagithi baba sithi uhhmm ingonyama."  It was pretty spectacular. (And thank you Google, for the written out African (Swahili?) (Oh yes, I just did a double parentheses, and I'm doing it again. I'm such a rebel, I know.) lyrics, because I never would've figured out how to spell that on my own.)

And also awesome? The Vespers just passed $2000 tonight on their fundraising. On the 3rd day.  13k to go!  Please keep praying for that.

Also awesome, but also possibly crazy?  I apparently decided that I didn't have enough to do in my life, so I started the Vesper Army Street Team.  (That's what the band refers to their fans as.)  I am the General, as Bruno titled me.  Right now, we're so focused on this fundraising campaign that not much has happened yet, but we're already brainstorming some cool ideas for it afterwards.  The kind of funny part about is it that it was just a spur of the moment decision.

See, I have Bruno and Taylor's cell phone numbers, 'cause they're sweet.  And I texted them the other day to tell them that I was spreading the word about the fundraising campaign and was sorry I couldn't help financially.  And Bruno and I were just texting back and forth chatting throughout the day and I said "So I was thinking about starting a Vesper Army twitter...like a street team. What do you think? I would only do it with your blessing."  (Your being the whole band's blessing, of course.)  It kind of just blew up from there.

Y'all may possibly be thinking I'm crazy and I may regret this decision because I get so stressed out with school and stuff, but I honestly don't think I will.  I can regret many things, but helping out those four?  It's just impossible.  I am lucky to consider them friends, and if doing this and helping them out can begin to show the gratitude I have for having them in my life and being a part of theirs, then it is a blessing and I am thrilled to do it.

And one last shameless plug: helpthevespers.com (Sorry, had to do it.)

1 comment: