Thursday, August 30, 2012

Off to Charlotte.

(Okay, so per what seems to a tradition in hotels in big cities, the internet would have cost me $12 a day.  That wasn't going to happen.  So this post and the next two posts about the CDA Convention are being written Saturday night now that I'm back at Campbell.)

You know how "they" say that when you're waiting for something, time seems to move in slow motion?  Yeah...that's absolutely true.

Today was so long.  I got up, ate, and went to the post office before class.  My 80-minute Human Diversity class felt like it was 3 hours.

Then, I went by Dr. Thornton's office to get his advice about transferring in my credits from Georgetown where I got some AWESOME news: I don't have to take Constitutional Law!  That is a HUGE, HUGE relief for me.  For one, it's taught by a professor that I just don't get along with very well.  It's also apparently really hard.  And since I'm not going to go to law school, I don't really need in-depth Constitution education, so Dr. Thornton said he sees no reason why my Theories of Constitutional Interpretation class from TFAS shouldn't transfer.  Thank you, TFAS.  You're paying off only four weeks later. :)

That meeting didn't take very long, and then I came back to my room and finished the last-minute packing.  I changed into some business clothes for the reception tonight.  Just before 3:30, I walked down to Louis' apartment, and he came back from picking up Chris and we went to get Bria.  Then, we were FINALLY on the road.

The schedule was really unclear, so we didn't find out until we were on the ride down there that the reception was actually starting at 6:00, instead of 6:30.  So we were going to be late.  Then, of course, we ran into a four-car wreck right in the middle of Charlotte, so we basically didn't get there and checked in until 7:00.  All we did this night was go to the reception, meet some people, and hear the Secretary of the Democratic National Committee speak, and then a whole bunch of us went to get something to eat up the street at Wild Wings in Charlotte's epicenter.  There was a guy there that Louis has known for a while, but there were also some people that we had just met.  It was a LOT of fun.

It ended up being a much later night than I expected, and I didn't take a single picture, but it was a great start to the convention.  When I went to bed, I was incredibly anxious for Day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment