Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A donkey and an elephant with a camel referee.

Tonight was "The First Annual Campbell Times Debate" here on campus.  The Campbell Times is the school newspaper, and they hosted a debate between the College Democrats and College Republicans.  I didn't participate - I'm not usually very calm when talking politics, and I figured I'd end up embarrassing myself.

What you have to understand about Campbell is that probably 90% of the student body leans to the Republican side.  The College Republicans have pretty much taken over the campus, including the Campbell Times.  What I've been told is that the entire thing was set up by a certain Republican who basically wanted to publicly humiliate the College Democrats.  So I figured that, knowing that, my temper might get the best of me.  I'm not exactly all that rational when I get really mad. ;)

The four debaters from the Democrats spent a lot of time preparing for it over the past two months, so I knew they'd be fine.  I wasn't worried about that.  I was worried about an obnoxious crowd who, believe me, wants nothing more than for us to disappear.  I was worried about the previously mentioned Republican who has been out to sabotage us since day one.  We may all be college students and legal adults, but most of the people on this campus simply suck.  And let's face it, no matter what age group you're dealing with, it seems to be getting more and more difficult nowadays to find people who can discuss politics calmly and actually listen to the other side.

I'm not going to get into another politics rant tonight.  It's past 11:00, and I don't want to drive away any of the few readers I actually have.  I just want to say that I was actually fairly surprised.  There were some low jabs by the Republicans, but not nearly as many as I expected, and all eight of the debaters were very respectful.  (The aftermath on Facebook is a different story, but I saw that one coming a mile away.)  Plus, I got to see a bunch of my friends, and got to meet and chat with one of the Republican debaters who was very nice and friendly.  So it was fun.

On to tomorrow.  The longest day of my week.  I pray I get some good sleep tonight, I've been struggling with that as of late.

No comments:

Post a Comment