Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Hallelujah.

I really, really, really like my new doctor!  She's so nice and actually listened to me and trusted that I know what's going on with me (I haven't had the greatest experience with past doctors in that area).

She says from my description of the headaches, she really does think that they're migraines (not stress headaches, mother!) and had lots of things to say.

I have to go off my birth control pill because girls my age have fluctuating estrogen levels and BCPs can mess with that and cause headaches.  This was the only thing I didn't like about my appointment today, because without the pill, my periods are going to be ten times worse than they already are.  Mom expects me to just deal with it, and I'm telling her I want to see either my family doctor or a gynecologist about it when I get home for Christmas.  Hello, woman, something is obviously wrong in that department! (Yes, she's just in a stellar mood today.)

She emailed my pharmacy a prescription for a new medicine called Maxalt-MLT for these headaches, and she gave me a few samples because I told her I wouldn't be able to pick the med up till Friday.  I took one when I got in the car after the appointment.  My terrible headache was almost gone in thirty minutes. Praise Jesus.  And they dissolve on your tongue and leave a minty fresh aftertaste. :)

She told me I need to check with my dentist because my temple muscles are super strong which indicates that I might grind my teeth in my sleep.  If I do, that could be adding to the problem, but I told her I just went to the dentist this past spring, and they've never said anything to me about that, but I told her I'd check.

I also might have to do a sleep study because she wants to make sure I don't have sleep apnea.  But I've never done any of the things that she said people who have it usually do, so I'm not too concerned about it.

I also have to keep a log of every headache I get from now till early January when I go back to see her.

Oh, and the icing on the cake of a very productive appointment?  She told me she never would've guessed that I'm 18.  She thought I was 24.  I love it when that happens.

Thank you, God, for putting what I truly believe is the right doctor in my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment