Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Gifts

Today, well, I don't know. Today was rough.  I spent the better part of the day in bed when my migraine got so bad that I couldn't stand opening my eyes.

Then, when I finally could, both Mom and Chelsea were home and everything just sort of went downhill from there.

But that's not fun.  Instead, I'm going to talk about two things that thoroughly blessed me today and made me reflect on just how grateful I am for a Father who looks after the small details.

First off, a book arrived in the mail from my dear, sweet, oh-so-lovely sister-friend JD.  She sent me I Am Second, which is a book related to the video series I mentioned here, and I've wanted to read it ever since she told me this book existed because I love watching these videos.  It's always so uplifting and encouraging to hear testimonies from people who aren't afraid to admit their faults and tell you just what Jesus brought them out of.  I would be starting it tonight if I weren't still in the middle of Radical (which is, by the way, completely rocking my world.  I'm sure there will be many words pouring out of my fingertips onto this page once I finish and can even begin to process what Platt is challenging me with.  I can already feel God working in my heart.)

That makes for a total of three books (Crazy Love from Taylor, Radical from Laura, and now I Am Second from JD) that I have received in the past three weeks absolutely free simply because I have friends who love me and want to help me grow in my walk with Christ.  So blessed! :)  (Now, the trick is to get that guilty, they-sent-me-something-so-now-I-need-to-send-them-something-too part of me to just shut up and enjoy the gifts!)

But seriously, this just really showed me how much God really does pay attention to the details of our lives.  I may have said many times before how much I don't like to read just for fun, but because I have no friends in this town since Matt left and I am stuck in this house, these books and the self-reflection I have done because of these books has been the perfect escape from all of the drama.

Second, I got to spend an hour on the phone with Caitie tonight, and I swear, that girl really is becoming one of my favorite people to talk to.  She let me vent, gave me constructive and helpful advice, and was just there for me when I desperately needed a voice on the other end of the line just to tell me I wasn't alone.  I know I've said it a thousand times before, but it's friends like her that push me closer to God every day just by loving me.  I am indescribably thankful to have so many people in my life who have become my family and never once looked back.  I started that conversation tonight in tears, and by the end of it, I was laughing and felt so much more at peace.  I pray that I never lose sight of what a gift friends like this are.

There is beauty, there is always beauty, to be found in the rough and dark days.  I just have to be continuously willing to look for it.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment