This has come to mind because today, David and Victoria Beckham named their daughter Harper Seven. Harper is pretty, Seven is just weird.
Apparently, this is a longstanding tradition. In chronological order, here are just some of the ones that I could find.
- Frank Zappa has four kids named Moon Unit (girl 1967), Dweezil (boy 1969, his birth name was different only because the hospital refused to register "Dweezil", it became his legal name at age 5, it was the nickname Frank had for his wife's oddly-curled pinky toe), Ahmet Emuukha Rodan (boy 1974), and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen (1979).
- David Bowie named his son Zowie. Yes, Zowie Bowie (1971). He later changed his name.
- Bob Geldof, the man who started the Live Aid concerts, has a trio of just fascinating daughter names: Fifi Trixibelle (1983), Peaches Honeyblossom (1989), and Little Pixie (1990).
- Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran had a daughter named Saffron Sahara (1991).
- Bob Geldof's wife later had a daughter with another man named Heavenly Hiraaini Tiger Lily (1996). She went by Tiger.
- Jamie Oliver and his wife Jules' kids: Poppy Honey Rosie (2002), Daisy Boo Pamela (2003), Petal Blossom Rainbow (2009), and Buddy Bear Maurice (2010).
- Jason Lee's son is Pilot Inspektor (yes, the spelling is correct, 2003).
- Shannyn Sossamon named her son Audio Science (2003).
- Penn Jillette's daughter is named Moxie Crimefighter (2005).
- Victoria's fellow Spice Girl has a daughter named Bluebell Madonna (2006).
- Ingo Rademacher has a son named Peanut Kai (2008).
- In January some girl from Top Chef named her daughter Zuzu.
- A few weeks ago, Alicia Silverstone named her son Bear Blu.
It's now gotten to the point that my friend, who loves baby names as much as I do, make constant jokes when we hear celeb pregnancies about who will come out with the newest crazy name.
Anyway, it's pretty funny, isn't it? I thought I'd post it to maybe make you laugh, too. :) Happy Sunday, all.