Wednesday, July 6, 2011

It's like some twisted rite of passage or something.

Disclaimer: If you happen to be a man and you're reading this post, turn back now.  If you're a woman who doesn't like to read/talk about feminine issues, turn back now.  This post is all about my first visit to the DUN DUN DUN.........gynecologist.

When I think about today, here's what comes to mind:
"Ow."
"Finally, I can get these horrible periods checked out."
"Ow."
"Most awkward doctor visit of my LIFE."
"Ow."
"Please God, please don't let it be PCOS."
Did I mention "OW."??

The doctor couldn't even use the speculum my mom and sister told me horror stories about because I'm a virgin, but she tried, and oh boy, did it hurt.  She asked me all sorts of questions and based on what I told her and the exam she did with her hands, she said the chances of me having PCOS are high.  Super.  Guess that "how long can Mal go without a medical problem" streak is over.  She put me on some hormone drug called Provera to try and get my periods to be regular.

I also have something called "bacterial vaginosis" which is pretty much exactly what the name says.  That's how awesome I am - I get infections and don't even know it! ;)  So I get to take antibiotics for that.

Anyway, I have to go get an ultrasound done to look at my ovaries and see if the see any signs of PCOS.  I have to wait for them to call me, so I don't know when it is yet.  Then I go back to the doctor on the 20th to go over the ultrasound and the tests they're running on the bacteria.

I'll admit, I'm really nervous about the whole PCOS thing.  I've read a lot of blogs of women who have it, and it sounds horrible.  Out of my mom's three daughters, I've always been the one who wanted kids the most, and that scares me that I might face fertility issues before I'm even ready to have kids.  However, it would definitely explain all of the issues I've had all these years, and that's truly what I want - some answers.  Prayers would be appreciated. 

I'll keep you posted.

11 comments:

  1. i hate the dentist more than the gynecologist - amazing huh. and i dont even really have bad teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate the dentist more than the gynecologist - amazing huh. and i dont even really have bad teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have another friend who posted a picture of a speculum yesterday in honor of her exam (NOT her first - she's around my age). I have always hated that part of the exam. My doctor put me on Prevera too because I haven't had a period since March. But I'm 47, can't I be done yet? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BV is apparently like super common. I was treated for it a couple of months ago...I have an allergy to Tide with Febreeze so I started buying organic, fancy detergent now.
    I went to the gyno as a virgin as well and it wasn't a big deal. Don't let people freak you out... :)
    If you have a good doctor like I do, it's over in a blink of an eye.
    There is definitely something cool about her being able to feel my ovaries. She always laughs when I say, "are they still there? looking good?"
    Being a woman does come with a ton of drama, no question!
    Best wishes for the best possible outcome of the ultrasound.
    Last year they thought I had a little cyst that burst...which it did...again, crazy common and not a big deal!
    best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Jenna's Comment Challenge :)

    One positive... at least there are millions of other women who can relate! Best of luck with the PCOS results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopped by from Jenna's. just prayed for you and your PCOS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HATED the gyne! Praying for you! (from Jenna's)

    Following!
    ~Samantha
    www.thepeanutsgang.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad I joined the blog hop, I love finding new blogs to read! I'm sorry about your first gyno appt., I'm praying that you get answers soon.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 4 kids so I've been there done that. A lot. But I still hate it. It gets less painful but never easy. In fact, I'm 2 years overdue for my annual and keep putting it off. I hope things work out well for you. Don't worry...it never helps. Have a great day!

    (Stopping by from the commenting challenge.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll be praying for you. Hope that you get answers.

    ReplyDelete