Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Broadway baby!

Mom splurged and took Holly to a show when they were up here for the apartment search a few weeks ago, so she did the same for me now.  We went to see Motown the Musical and it was SO MUCH FUN.  I’m lucky because I inherited my mom’s awesome taste in music, so I knew a good deal of the songs featured.

It was at a small theater just off Times Square, which worked because we ended up having to go to the TKTS booth in Times Square to get discount tickets.  It was awesome because we got aisle seats towards the front of the mezzanine and they were $4 cheaper than the promotion that the theater was running that they were sold out of.  So after we walked from the subway to theater, then to the TKTS booth, I was ready for dinner.  We went to this cafe that Mom and Holly went to and had this awesome chicken parmesan panini quesadilla looking thing, and it was big enough that we split that and a piece of marble cheesecake and were full.

I tell ya, having a piece of cheesecake in a cafe just off Times Square?  You can’t beat it.  And it was like twice the size of and at least $2 cheaper than the cheesecake at Katz’s.  Go figure.

Then we went back to the theater.  Luckily, a worker let me in to sit down during the time before they opened the doors, because there is no way that I could have stood there for half an hour before they opened up for seating.  He was very nice and let Mom come in with me.

Then, showtime!  The one downside to Broadway theaters is the lack of leg room, but thankfully Mom gave me the aisle seat so I could sort of stick my legs out in the aisle and avoid getting some serious cramps because facing straight on, I couldn’t even get my feet to touch the ground the seat in front of me was that close.

I LOVED THIS SHOW.  Love love loved it.  It was like traveling back in time it was so authentic.  The singers were unbelievably talented and the dancers were as good as you expect Broadway dancers to be.  The kicker, though, was that the kid who played young Michael Jackson (and also young Stevie Wonder and young Berry Gordy) sounded EXACTLY LIKE HIM.  It was uncanny.  And he was the best dancer in the entire show.  I can’t imagine that the kid who shares the role with him was any better.  I hope that Nathaniel Cullors has a long and vibrant Broadway career.

We got back after 11:00 and then hung out and watched extras on the Sound of Music DVD and then I crashed long before Mom and Holly did.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment