Thursday, November 21, 2013

Grace-Filled Professors

I don't think I could write out or adequately explain all the reasons why I love Campbell, but this semester, with all the craziness that has been going on, one reason in particular has been made crystal clear to me.

At big schools, professors don't have the time or energy to know their students on a personal level.  At Campbell, I've known every professor that I have this semester since I was a freshman and they know about everything I've faced outside of academics since I became a student here.

Having connections with my professors is great in itself, but it's when I'm so behind in school that I'll never be able to get it all done by finals that I become even more appreciative of it.  Not long after the seizures started, every single one of my professors told me, "Please do NOT make yourself sick with stress over my class.  We will figure it out."

They have shown me grace upon grace this semester.  When I haven't been in class.  When I've had to leave early.  When I haven't turned things in on time.  When I've been supposed to make up a quiz or something one afternoon and had to cancel last minute.  They care far more about my health than they do my class record.

Their patience and kindness is a huge part of the reason why I haven't hit "nervous breakdown" status yet.  They have helped keep my stress from getting even higher than it already is.  One of my professors told me something that has really stuck with me; this is why reputation matters - they are willing and able to show me this much grace because they know my work is going to get done and it's going to be excellent quality, I just need to find enough hours where I feel well enough to get it done.

So today, I'm thankful for my professors.  I'm going to miss them very, very much when I move on from this amazing school family in May.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment