Wednesday, November 20, 2013

God's Timing

Another seizure this morning.  Luckily I managed to get on the ground before this one, so I got to avoid a hospital trip.  Doc says the new dosage should kick in by tomorrow.

But that's not what I want to talk about.  What I want to focus on, what I'm thankful for, is stuff that happened this afternoon.

I recovered from my seizure in time to go to my appointment with the Dean of Students at 3:30.  (Don't worry, I got a ride from Campus Safety.  It's on the other side of campus.)  I got there early, because, well, I show up early for everything.  While I was waiting, I had a conversation with Pastor Chris, and he told me to listen to this week's sermon after my meeting.  I normally listen to it on Mondays, but with getting back from the trip and then all the craziness of the past few days with school and whatnot, it sort of got lost in my to-do list.

The sermon, titled "How to be Rich", focused on 1 Timothy 6:17. "As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides with everything to enjoy."  I didn't understand why he wanted me to listen to this sermon, considering most of it was about money and generosity, until he got to the very end.  Then, Chris talked about a faithful leader in their church who was just diagnosed with cancer.  It was like I felt God telling me, "Stop putting your happiness on your health, and put in on Me."  Joy comes from something higher, not our earthly circumstances.  Tears started falling...

And the Austin called me back, before I even finished the sermon.  I talked to him about how I was feeling, and he did what I can always rely on him for - he prayed with me.  He thanked God for me and for my life, and the tears started coming harder.  When the prayer started, I didn't even know what to say, and I sort of stumbled through my words.  The good thing about God is that He knows what's on my heart even when I can't figure out how to say what I want to say.  One of the last things Austin said to me before he had to go work on a paper was what a blessing it is for him to know me.  We hung up the phone, and I absolutely lost it.  It's amazing how crying can feel good, isn't it?

Then I pulled out my Bible and saw the verse that comes right after 1 Timothy 6:17.  6:18 - "They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share."  So maybe I do have a body that doesn't work right.  But I have a mind and a heart that work overtime.  And as some dear friends once told me, my mind, my heart, and my ability with words more than make up for what my body can't do.

So today, I'm thankful for how God orchestrated all of those small things one right after the other for me.  I needed it.  He is so good.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment