Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I don't know who "they" are...

But you know how "they" say that college is about having new experiences?

Well, for once, I'm actually listening to what "they" say.

Tonight, I joined my first ever Bible study.

This may not seem like a huge deal to you, but for me?  This is gigantic.  For a few reasons. 

First, I've never actually read the Bible outside of the occasional verse during a church service, and the required readings in my Intro to Christianity class last semester.  I am going to learn SO much!

Second, my church attendance has been, needless to say, sparse over the years, and this is going to an unorthodox kind of church for me, which is way stressful.  Friends, fellow believers, learning about God.  Sounds great.

Third, while I can be loud and goofy and weird with people I know, around people I don't know, I am freakishly shy.  So the fact that I joined a Bible study and am putting myself out there is a huge step forward for me!  I think the key is that I do know two of the girls in the group, Robin and Amy; they lived a floor above me in Burkot last year and we've been friends for quite some time.  So I'm not completely "alone" as the newbie in the group.  (Robin's aunt and my mom work together, so when Mom told her colleagues that I was going to Campbell, Robin's aunt told her that Robin goes here and we moved into the same dorm and so she told Robin to come find me and introduce herself.  Who knew having "arranged friendships" could turn out to be a good thing?)

Overall, tonight (and today, really) was just ABSOLUTELY splendid, and I am going to bed tonight with a smile on my face. :)

1 comment:

  1. If it wasn't already obvious what a pivotal year this was going to be for you, what a pivotal year it already was... this right here would do it.

    It's going to rock-your-world (in a good way!)

    I'm so proud of you, Mal, this IS gigantic indeed, and not only for the reasons you stated, but for what's to come :)

    ReplyDelete