Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Heart of an Extrovert

Tonight, I'm really thankful to serve a God who cares about the details.

Today at church, we did something a little differently towards the beginning of the service and broke up into groups of 3 or 4 and spent time sharing prayer requests. Which, considering what's going on, could not have come at a better time. So I'm thankful that God made it happen this Sunday, the day before I go back to the doctor to hopefully get an answer as to what is wrong, as opposed to a different one.

I was with two girls, Karen and Jeri, and Jeri's boyfriend Matthias. I've met Karen before and talked to Jeri several times, but never Matthias, but I guess there's just something about a church that immediately makes us all family, so we were able to share with each other openly and honestly and it was just so sweet and, like I said, exactly what I needed.

Apparently I wasn't hiding the pain very well today, because several of my friends asked me what was going on after the service, and so basically, I was surrounded by people who promised to be in prayer for me and asked me to update them after my doctor appointment tomorrow. And you know, it's a really beautiful thing to have so many people who, when they say they'll be praying for you, you know they mean it. So many times we use "I'll pray for you" to quickly end a conversation or because we don't know what else to say, but with my City Grace friends, I don't know, I just feel like I really trust them when they say that to me.

And tonight, I was very very tired and miserable, and then I ended up spending close to two hours helping one of my brothers with his math homework over text and FaceTime, and really, I had no idea how much good that would do me. Despite the fact that, as it turns out, statistics drives me crazy, I was so happy to get to spend that time with him.

I'm a complete extrovert. I don't like being alone. Unless I really want (or need) to sleep, too much quiet drives me nuts, and even then I will wake up to help someone if they need me. Sometimes I will just start texting anyone in my phone until someone will have a conversation. (What? Just being honest.) Community really is so important to me, on both a Christian level and just a person level. The love and joy I feel radiating through my whole body just when I get the chance to talk to someone I care about absolutely makes me come alive. So this community I have now, both here in New York City and far away, well, I don't have words for how thankful I am.

Side note, I saw this tweet on Twitter last night...
and while my immediate reaction was to think of the many hours I've wasted on FaceTime with Clayton making weird faces at each other, I soon realized just how many of my friends are complete goofballs just like me. I'm such a lucky girl.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment