Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's a beautiful day!

Last night, I watched the Dateline special on Gabrielle Giffords (the AZ Congresswoman that got shot) and her husband, NASA Astronaut Mark Kelly.  It was beautiful, tear-jerking, heartwarming, and just simply inspiring.  In that special, they talked about how Gabrielle sent Mark the song "Beautiful Day" while he was in space to wake him up in the morning (don't ask me how they do that).  And so now that she's been in the hospital, he plays that song for her. AWWWWWW. :D

That song has been in my head today because today has simply been beautiful.  I talked to my advisor, Dr. Thornton, and the Honors professor, and I've officially decided to drop this whole Honors thing.  Dr. Thornton especially backs me up after I explained to him my thoughts.  I tried telling Mom, but she hasn't answered me.  I'm mostly just proud that I've stood up and made my own decision and am not letting Mom make this decision for me.  Life is too short to spend 4 years in a program that's really not that important where I'm miserable just because she wants me to be in it.

With that one less thing to worry about, I am determined to at least get a French minor, possibly a double major.  Dr. Steegar, my French professor, thinks that's a fantastic idea.  Dr. Thornton was a French minor in college, too, and he told me that having a major focus language like this is really smart, and French speakers are very valuable nowadays, especially at the UN (where I want to work!!!).

Also regarding French, today before class I was talking with Tyler, the guy in my French class that I helped study for the final last semester.  I told him that my offer was still good for this semester (as long as he didn't become a giant jerk, haha), and a few minutes later, he asked me if I could meet with him every single week to essentially tutor him. This makes today beautiful because, in case you hadn't figured this out yet (wink wink), I love helping people!  And Tyler is a nice guy, and since this was his idea, I don't think I'll be wasting my time.

On top of all of this, the weather outside today was amazing!  I didn't even need a sweatshirt by the afternoon. I wish that today was how it felt all year long.

So yes, today is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment