Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Money, money, money, money! MONEY!

I got a cool surprise today. My Western Civ professor, Dr. Stanke (and yes, she gave us full permission to make fun of her name), asked me if I'd be willing to be a note-taker for this deaf/mute kid, James, that sits next to me. He has a sign-language translator in class, but she can't translate fast enough to go through every detail that my professor talks about. I said sure. I just have to go copy all the notes I already have, fill out some paperwork, and get a special carbon-copy notebook that has a carbon copy sheet behind each page of the notebook so that as I take notes, it automatically makes a copy for James. Here's what they (the professor and translator) then told me.

I get paid for it!!

I don't know how much yet, but this is a dream job for a college student. Getting paid for something you would be doing anyway, can it get any better? :)

My mom and I didn't think we'd be able to afford to get me a car this summer (without calling my grandfather, at least *shudders*), and with this money, the chances are much higher! Yay! *dances*

(And before you guys think I am the most shallow person alive, I would do it without the money incentive. I know how bad it can be to have disabilities and disadvantages, and I can't even imagine what this kid goes through.)

On another note, bad news is that I have to miss a day of classes to go to my orthdontist to get a new impression to replace my retainer. I set it up the Monday after Chelsea's baby shower, February 22nd, since I'd be home anyway. Just my luck, eh? Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. I know you'd do it even without the compensation -- that's what I love about you!! Glad you'll make some extra money helping out too, though -- always a lovely surprise!

    xoxox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete