Tuesday, March 5, 2013

To my sweet Blake on your third birthday.

By the time you read this letter, you're probably going to be at the stage where you just roll your eyes at how mushy adults can be about simple things like a little boy turning a year older, so just bear with me here and forgive me for my possible overuse of clichés about how much I love you. :)

To be honest, I feel like I've missed out on so much of your life this past year.  I was at college most of the time, and instead of being home the whole summer like I was the summer when you were one, I was in Washington DC for eight weeks.  But one of the hard lessons in life is realizing that you don't get to keep the people you love with you all the time.  Just know that there's not a day that I'm gone that I don't miss you.

You turned three years old today.  Um, WHOA.  That's all I have to really say about that.  Whoa.  You're three years old and somehow manage to get more amazing every day.

You blow me away with how smart you are.

You melt my heart when you wrap your arms around my neck and squeeze me and then give me a kiss on the cheek.

You want to make anyone who is hurt feel better.

You love music.  Just like me. :)

You are all boy and not scared of anything.

You are mischievous and love to do things we tell you not to, but you're so adorable it's hard to be mad at you.  At least for me it is.

I fall more in love with you every day.  Sometimes I forget you're not mine.

Tonight, we celebrated your birthday just your mommy, Mimi, you, and me.  We're going out to dinner with Mommom tomorrow, so you really get two birthday celebrations.  Everything was "birthday ____" with you.  Birthday pizza, birthday juice, birthday chair, birthday napkin, birthday cake (obviously).  But the best part was the balloon Mimi got you.  Best $4.27 she ever spent, she said.  ;)  You kept saying over and over again, "happy birfday BWOON!" or "happy dirtday BWOON!"  Which, really, 'dirtday' is hilarious considering how boyish you are and how much you love to play outside and get yourself covered in dirt. :)


You were in an especially crazy mood tonight.  I actually remembered to get some video because you were cracking us up so badly tonight.




After birthday pizza, there was birthday cake.



Of course, we sang.



This was honestly the best time our family has had in a very long time.  Mainly because we couldn't stop laughing at you.  I don't remember the last time we just sat around being together without fighting.  You do that.

After cake, PRESENTS!  You know the word present from Christmas.  This was my present to you.


A giant poster of Mr. Wuf, the NC State mascot to go over your bed in your Wolfpack-themed bedroom.  I will never, ever, ever get tired of someone asking you "Hey Blake, what does the Wolfpack say?" and hearing you go "AHOOOO!"  Never ever.

Then you got Mimi's present, which was a CD player and some CDs.  I told you you love music.  You went NUTS.  You spent forever just dancing around like a crazy man you were so happy.  And the funniest part is that Mimi taught you which button is the fast forward, and you started skipping over all the ones that weren't fast enough!  You're such a wild man.




I don't remember the last time I laughed so hard.  I know I'm pretty biased ;) but you really are the most adorable little boy that I know.


I love you so, so much, sweet boy.  There really aren't words to express it.  I am so honored to be your aunt and be in your life, even if I can't see you every day.  You are, hands down, the best thing that has ever happened to this family.  I know you keep Mimi's spirits lifted.  You are an immeasurable blessing, darling, and I don't want anything or anyone in this world to ever make you think otherwise.

I fell in love with you the day you were born...


and that love is only exponentially stronger today.


I am always on your side, Blake, no matter what.  I am so blessed to get to watch you grow up and learn about the world.  In my eyes, you are special and beautiful and everything that is good about the world wrapped up into a cuddly little boy.  Never let anyone make you think you can't do anything or be anyone.  You can.  If anything, I'll be the person that believes in you when you don't believe in yourself.

Happy birthday, Blake man.  Your Auntie Mal loves you to the moon and back.

Keep dancing.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment