Sunday, November 9, 2014

For those I love, I will sacrifice.

That line is actually a song lyric, but I first saw it when a picture of a wounded soldier in a war hospital went viral because he had that tattooed on his side and the...irony, I guess, of it all was too much for the world to pass over.

It's in my head tonight because I said it to a friend who said that what I was offering to do for him was too much. Even though he could use the help. I told him I consider him family, and for the people that I love, I will always sacrifice my own comfort (like sleep) in order to help them out if they need me. And there have been several times when people have found that absolutely baffling, that I was willing to sacrifice something for them. And the fact that it baffles them, well, baffles me.

This isn't me looking for people to tell me how awesome I am. It's just me trying to wrap my head around the fact that we're a society that gets confused when people sacrifice something of themselves to do kind things for someone else. In fact, I know I'm guilty of it, too. How many times have I said that I don't understand how my friends can give and give to me and not expect anything in return? A LOT, I know that much.

I want to do what I can to help people even if it costs me something. Or at least I try to, sometimes I don't always get it right. I truly never feel more fulfilled than when I get the chance to do it. Maybe that's selfish. But really, I think that it's just a mere glimpse of the greatest Sacrifice that I know. I have to remind myself every day, every time I feel so dirty and unworthy, that Jesus came to save me even when God knew just how dirty and unworthy I am. I serve the most selfless Savior. He sacrificed everything for people who may or may nor have ever come to love Him. So how can I not want to do the same for people when I am on the same level and just as broken as them?

Anyway, don't really know where I'm going with this, for once. Just putting it out there to say that I pray that God continues to grow me in such a way that I willingly give more and more of myself and my comforts to give to others.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment