Saturday, June 12, 2010

GO USA!

Today was the first USA game in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Soccer is HUGE in my family, so you can imagine just how big of a deal the World Cup is. My uncle is much more knowledgeable about it than my mom or I, and he was talking at my birthday dinner about how our chances against England were not very good, not good at all.

And I tell ya, when they scored less than 5 minutes into the game, I was thinking that this was going to be very ugly.  And then, all of a sudden, the most beautiful screw up I've ever seen happened right about the 40 minute mark.  Clint Dempsey made a shot, and it looked like the England goalie, Robert Green, was going to catch it.  But no!  He totally fumbled, and the ball slid right past him.  I laughed as he dived after it and it slid into the goal.  Talk about luck!  Even Dempsey said, "It was probably a goal the keeper should've caught, but hey!"

Beautiful.  Just beautiful.  We tied 1-1 with a team that most people expected us to get slaughtered by.  Poor Algeria, though.  They have to play England next, and I heard one of the commentators say they were "definitely the weak link of the group."

After the game, Mom and I have done nothing but watch "My Fair Wedding with David Tutera."  I have never seen this show before, but now I'm almost addicted!  It's absolutely hilarious seeing some of these horrible ideas.  One woman was broke and so she was going to have a bouquet made out of sponges.  Sponges!  Another was having a tent in her backyard for the reception, and since she was having 140 guests but the tent only held 80, the extra 60 people were just going to "picnic" on blankets outside the tent.  Can you imagine going to a wedding and being told that you were going to have to eat sitting on the ground outside a tent where the real party was?  Ouch. 

Here's another reason I'm lucky to have my mom:  She has an amazing eye for design, which is why I decided long ago she'll be my wedding planner.  And she won't be one of those crazy moms who makes the whole wedding all about what she wants, either.  She'll only be happy with it if it's what I want.  Because she's awesome like that.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're enjoying the soccer! I don't really watch too much soccer. I don't even know the rules. Some of those players sure are handsome though! Haha! Although I know there's way more to the game than that!

    And how fun is it to dream about weddings?! That's awesome that your mom is great with that kind of thing. I think when the time comes for me to get married I will definitely want my mom helping me out too. But for now, it's just plenty of daydreaming!

    ReplyDelete