Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I am not a freak!

So today I had to go to New Bern with my grandmother because she had an appointment and then she was taking me to my orthodontist appointment. During these few hours, I realized something...

People stare at you if you appear to have any physical disability.

I had no less than 10 people stare at me and my scooter without saying anything until I finally told them "I had foot surgery." Geez, I'm not a freaking alien. I don't have tentacles growing out of the top of my head. And it's just a cast, for crying out loud. So stop staring! Have you ever heard of common decency? And this is just a temporary thing for me, so I can't imagine how it is for people who have to deal with this every day of their lives.

Here's something people need to realize: Most people who have physical disabilities, or are recovering from surgery and have scars like me, don't usually mind answering questions that people have, as long as they are asked politely. We don't bite. And you're surely not the first person to ask us about what happened. It's a heck of a lot better than staring at someone, not speaking to them, making them feel like they're the world's biggest freak! We are normal people, too, and we like to be treated as such. Would you like it if someone stared at you so long you could hardly stand to stay in the room? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment