Saturday, January 4, 2014

I'm gonna miss this.

I go back to Campbell tomorrow.

This break did go much better in terms of my temperament, especially considering how awful I felt for the vast majority of it, but I still didn't enjoy being here.  But hey, progress.

I am more than ready for it.  I've been waiting for tomorrow to get here pretty much since the minute I got in my mom's car at the airport in Jacksonville after Texas.

I've been so looking forward to getting back to Campbell and to where I feel like I belong, that I never would have guessed that the night before I left, I'd sit down at my blog trying to figure out what to say and only be able to think I'm gonna miss this.

I'm gonna miss nights like tonight.  Nights where I spend hours upon hours locked in my mom's room with her and enjoy the entire time.  Nights where we talk about anything and everything.  Nights where she never ceases to make me laugh hysterically until my sides hurt and tears start running down my face.  Nights where all we do is watch TV but it's still fun.  

Tonight we have spent hours watching a Law & Order: Criminal Intent marathon.  We goofed off for a while, but then I got to work on an essay for my Johns Hopkins application.  That one is almost done, save for one analytical essay whose directions are simply "Discuss an issue of national or international importance and its concern to you.  This essay should be no more than 600 words."  Which honestly, sounds a lot better than the directions for my statement of purpose, which included the words "This essay should be 600 words in length."  600.  Exactly.  That's a lot harder than it sounds.  And I made the choice to ask my mom for help to get it to 600 words, so that turned into a 2+ hour process of me reading every sentence to her 6 times so she could correct and re-correct and re-re-correct the diction.  Because she is the diction queen.  And then we had to edit and re-edit sentences to get it to exactly 600 words.  

I so, so appreciated her help to turn that into a killer statement of purpose, but it was really exhausting in the moment.  None of that matters, though.  What matters is that, as it turns out, I'm actually gonna miss my crazy, lovable, goofball of a mother.  Wonders never cease. ;)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment