Friday, January 9, 2015

Unbroken

I don't do a lot of reviews on here. It's just not really my thing, but also a lot of it is because there's just not been a lot out there that has elicited a strong enough reaction in me to warrant it (unless I was on the launch/street team for it and a review is what I agreed to do).

Well, today is a rare exception.

Tonight, Mom, Mommom, and I went to eat Japanese food (I was craving it, Mom always loves it as long as her stomach is cooperating, and Mommom said it was fine - a win for me!) and to the movies. Mom listed several movies that she was interested in, two of which were Selma and Unbroken. I knew the gist of Selma, but all I knew about Unbroken was that it was about an Olympian who because a bombardier in World War II. I figured that Unbroken would anger me less than Selma would, so we went with that (again, Mommom had no preference).

I could sum up this review in two words: SEE IT.

But that really wouldn't be very informative, now would it? ;)

Seriously, though, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen in my life. Jack O'Connell, who plays the central character Louie Zamperini, gave the best performance I've seen in anything in years. There is one scene where he's forced to hold this giant log over his shoulders and after a while he's getting tired and weak but then screams and lifts it all the way over his head just to basically show the monster torturing him that he couldn't break him, and it made me gasp and gave me chills all over my body. The guy who plays the head of the prison camp made him into the creepiest thing I have seen in recent memory. You will walk out of there absolutely hating him. We wanted to beat the crap out of him. (And turns out in his regular life, this actor is a singer-songwriter in Japan. A man of many talents.)

The cinematography is beautiful.

The cast around Louie is strong.

I laughed, I cried, I wanted to scream.

I can't think of anything I didn't like about this movie.

Go see it. I hate to say "I promise you won't regret it" because I try to avoid promising things that I have no control over and I can't control people's opinions, but I cannot for the life of me imagine someone walking out of a theater after seeing this movie and saying "Wow, that was awful." I'm serious.

Unbroken. Go. See it. Now.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment