Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Love does.

Well, this is weird.  A couple things are weird, actually.

One, I was up all night last night again (come on surgery day!), stayed up all morning doing laundry, took about a 2.5 hour nap, and have been going strong since Mom got home from surgery about 3:15.  Pretty sure this is the first time this summer that I've been up all night and haven't slept the whole next day away.

Two, Mom has just now gotten groggy.  When she and Mommom got home today, she was practically her normal self.  Which is just BIZARRE for my mother post-surgery.  For the past surgeries I've been here for, for the first 48 hours or so, she was so unconscious I could barely wake her up enough to force feed her.  Tonight, she insisted on standing in the kitchen for 25 minutes on her crutches in order to teach me how to make bacon and eggs.  Because that really had to be done.

But the good news is that the surgery went about as well as could be expected.  So yay for that.

Now, for the next few days, I get to have a glimpse as to what life has been like for my mom in the past after each of my surgeries.  I have to check her ice, get her food, and make sure she takes her pain meds every four hours around the clock.  For the next few days, my pain doesn't matter.  It's all about her.  As it should be.

Hey, this is what love does.  And I'm glad I can be here and totally take care of her for a change.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment