Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Good Problem to Have

Sigh.  Well, once again, I couldn't make it through a church service.  And that's after skipping the last two weeks because I didn't want to have another one there.  Maybe next week?

But all of that did lead to something good.  My friend Corey, who's helped me any time I've had a seizure at church, came to the ER to bring me lunch because once I wasn't nauseous anymore, I was super hungry, and he stayed and talked to me while I waited for my X-ray results (just twisted my shoulder pretty bad, and bruised my ribs).  Somehow, I don't even really remember how, we started talking about life at Campbell and the friendships you make and how special it is in comparison to other schools.

We talked about how different this is from high school, and how you can make friends here that you never could have imagined before.  Turns out, I'm not the only one who feels/experiences this stuff!  Imagine that.  I got to tell him about experiences like how at the 125th anniversary ball, I danced with a guy (my now-friend Drew) who ended up being crowned Homecoming King the next day.  And how my absolute best friend in my whole time at this school is the girl who, in profile, would have made my life a living hell in high school.  And how my Reformation brothers are the most genuine group of guys I've met.  And how the soccer boys completely defy everything you would expect from a group of attractive, popular, talented athletes.  And I got to hear some of his experiences, too.

All of that really made me think about the friendships I've made here, and how beautifully diverse they are.  I've made friends that have different majors, different religions, different family backgrounds, different senses of humor, different races...everything.  So how did I manage to click with all of them?  I don't know.  But when I think over the past 4.5 years, and I think about the people who jump out in my mind, I know that they all taught me something.  I know that our friendships had a purpose.

Not all of those people are still in my life, either.  Some of them had closure, some didn't.  Some of them ended just with the passing of time as we drifted apart, some of them ended painfully.  But do I regret any one of them?  Not a chance.  Because even the friendships that ended painfully hold good memories.  Memories that helped make college for me.  Lessons that helped make me a better friend for the next time.

Tonight, I sat in the lobby of a Reformation brother's dorm and ate pizza and watched the Super Bowl with him, his girlfriend (who is just adorable), and a group of guys I've never met before in my life.  During commercials and the halftime show, I was reminiscing about Russell Wilson as an NC State quarterback and the super memorable Wolfpack games of years past with the guy sitting next to me just because I found out we were both cheering for the Seahawks because of Russell.  No matter where I am at this school, I feel at home.  I've learned how to come out of my shell here.  Five years ago, when I started this blog (that anniversary is actually in 20 days, haha!), I never could have imagined my life would look like this, and that's one of the things I love most about God.  Just like I've always said He did with my Reformation brothers, He knew what to give to me long before I even realized I wanted or needed it.

As I told Corey today, I have far more love than I know what to do with.  And as he told me in response, that's a really good problem to have.

Amen.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment