Friday, September 6, 2013

I always complicate things.

The reason you're seeing this post at 5-something Friday morning instead of whatever time last night I would have posted is because, well, I just can't have anything be simple.

First off, I was in bed all day yesterday because of my head, though I did get up in the morning to take meds and call my professors and then around lunch to eat something.  But I did manage to feel better by about 5:00, so I got up and ate dinner and got ready for work and all that jazz.

I worked in the Tutoring Center from 7-10, and then decided to stay and watch Sanctuary on one of the library computers to see if there would be buffering issues there, too.  Some weeks on my computer, it's like I'm not even watching Sanctuary at all because it buffers so much and then skips forward to get back to live time.  But Praise the Lord, because the buffering is my university's Wifi fault, because the computer I used has "wired" internet and there was not a single buffering issue.  I don't know why me using an ethernet cable on my laptop in my dorm didn't work to fix the problem, but whatever.  I had a whole hour of totally uninterrupted worship, and it was beautiful.  It started a little late, so it didn't get over until 11:15.  I sent a text to Kyla before leaving, with plans to go back to my dorm, eat, take a quick shower, blog, and hit the sack.

Well, I was literally about 20 feet from the entrance to my dorm when I started feeling funny.  I knew it was my blood sugar telling me I needed to get food in me fast, so I hurried as fast as I could to get to my room.  I remember walking in my room, putting my stuff down, taking my night medicine, and then I was about to turn to head to my food closet to get something to eat and BOOM.  I wake up on the floor.

Cue the Campus Safety, RA freaking out, paramedics arriving, me finding out my blood sugar was 59!!!, them giving me oral glucose and getting it up to 70, and off to the hospital.  Because I hit my head and thought I hurt my back, they had to do the whole incredibly uncomfortable backboard, neck brace, totally immobilizing my head shindig.  Luckily the ER was not slammed tonight.  We got there just before 12:30, and I was being discharged just after 4:30.  The doctor and nurse who took care of me were super nice and fast.  Early on they tested my blood sugar again and it was 78.  They gave me Dilaudid to ease the extra pain I had from hitting my head, and I got CTs of my head, neck, and back done, plus an EKG, bloodwork and a urine sample (usual stuff).

After all the CTs came back okay, the urine sample and bloodwork came back and they told me I have a minor urinary tract infection, minor enough that I don't have any of the symptoms, but that that would be enough to make my blood sugar plummet like that, since there was no reason since I ate normally yesterday.  I had NO IDEA a UTI could cause that, but whatever.  They gave me a big dose of an antibiotic (but didn't give me a prescription for one, weird) and some potassium because that was slightly low and only added to the problem.  They fed me a whole bunch of peanut butter crackers, a PB&J, some vanilla wafers, and some orange juice, and after that my sugar finally went up to 134 so they told me I could go home.

So now I'm back, and may or may not sleep between now and class.  I have things I need to do, and I can always sleep after class and before we leave tonight for Jenny & Tyler.  I'm so glad I don't have to miss another class or leave my friends in a bind last minute.

For once, I'm not going to roll back the clock on this post just to make it say it was posted yesterday, because this was rare and I didn't even start this until 5:37 am.

So yeah, that was my night.  How was yours?!  Less complicated than mine, I hope.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment