Saturday, May 22, 2010

Nothing in my life...

can EVER go off smoothly.

You didn't hear from me yesterday because I unexpectedly had to stay overnight in the hospital.

Why? you may ask.

Because the docs didn't do general anesthesia, they did sedation with a foot block that would keep the foot numb longer than usual. And since I wasn't under general anesthesia, I didn't have a breathing tube in and ended up aspirating on fluid during the surgery. Because of that, the top of my right lung collapsed. (Ironically, in November, the bottom of my right lung collapsed with that staph pneumonia.) My oxygen sats were at like 85 almost steadily without an oxygen mask, and they had to keep me overnight to make sure I didn't contract pneumonia.

The good news is that staying vernight on oxygen cleared it all up, and so I got home around 3 this afternoon.

The most annoying part about the whole thing was that my mom wasn't there from 7:30 last night to 12:15 this afternoon. I was not a happy camper. But I knew she had to go last night because she didn't have her heart meds with her because we weren't expecting an overnight stay, so I didn't get upset then. I did, however, get irritated because she said she would be back at 10 am and didn't even get out of bed till then. I blame that on loneliness and lack of sleep. (I literally was only sleeping in 15-20 minutes increments all night, despite the drugs.) I got over it by the time she got there, though.

This cast I have over my foot feels like a cinderblock that's cutting off the circulation. It's not very fun. My mom has looked in the top of the cast and was amazed at how straight my toes are. :) I can't wait till I get the chance to see it! June 7th, I go back and get this cast taken off, new X-rays and an exam of the foot, and hopefully the cast he's putting back on isn't quite as bulky or heavy as this one.

The weird thing is that the last thing I remember is saying bye to my mom before surgery. Usually, I can remember up until they wheel me into the OR. (A few times I've told OR nurses that the OR smelled really good.) But apparently, the sedative drugs they gave me were quicker to work than I ever expected them to.

Gotta go! Mom made me a steak sandwich! MMMMMMMM.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're okay and I hope everything from here on out goes as planned! I bet the steak sandwich was delicious! Mmm!