Friday, August 21, 2009

Tonight's update...

Will be rather boring.

Because I'm tired. Because I didn't sleep last night.

And because I'm recovering from the worst headache I've had since surgery. See, my EBD has this clamp to keep me from draining fluid whenever the nurses is emptying the tube the fluid goes into or I'm moving to keep it from draining too much. My nurse emptied my tube and forgot to unclamp me afterwards, and so I was clamped for like 20 minutes with the fluid building up in my head. Twenty minutes doesn't sound like much, but when you're dealing with brain pressure, it's forever.

I'm surprised it took me that long to realize it was clamped. Usually I can feel the pressure building within 5-10 minutes, and I can stop it before it gets to the excruciating point I was at tonight. But I didn't feel this at all until it was like BAM! and my pain number went from a 6 to a 9.

OW. I called my mom and cried for like 15 minutes because I was in that much pain and she tends to make me feel better and talk me through it. The good news is after I unclamped it and the fluid drained, the pressure got a little better, and the pain went down to an 8, but they're still ordering me a one-time dose of something IV to get relief. The docs recently cancelled my IV pain meds, and I was actually doing pretty well today with just the oral Oxycodone and Tylenol....until this, of course.

So yeah, it's been a long day. My great-aunt came last night around 8 and left today at like 1:30, but I've been by myself since then. Holly promised she'd come as soon as she got off work, and she called and said she was leaving at 10:30ish, but she had a bit of a way to travel and security and such to get through, so hopefully she'll be here any minute.

Now, I'm going to try to rest till whenever this IV med dose gets here.

Night!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mallory, How I wish I could do something to make everything better for you, but I can't, except pray. However, I can tell you that I admire your inner strength that carries you through. In the old translations of the Bible this expression is often used and I have come to love it and want to leave it with you: "...it came to pass... Hang in there girl, even this terrible time in you life will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the previous commenter, I wish I could do something to bring you relief, but all I have is my prayers for you.

    I read this scripture this morning while spending some time with the Lord, and I thought of you and wanted to share. Romans 5.3-5 says: "We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

    Miss you!!! You know all that gardening I did? Terry finally brought the railway ties over from the neighbor's yard to finish off the flowerbed :o) I know, small stuff compared to what's going on in your life, but good news is good news, right?!

    ReplyDelete