Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Another day, another problem.

Guys, I'm exhausted. Physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted.

I'm back in Duke. Again.

After writhing, sobbing, and howling in severe pain from the GI problems for all of Saturday and Sunday, my mom took me to the local ER at about 1 am Monday morning. I got pain meds and an X-ray to see just how...backed up I was, and over the next 10 hours they gave me 4 enemas to try and help. If you don't know what an enema is, you'll have to look it up. I'd rather not describe it here.

While all of these GI problems were going on, my headache was still minimal. It was almost miraculous. But just after they were done with the enemas, my headache came back full force. Like a 9 on the pain scale. So my mom called Duke again and they said I should just get brought up to them. Well, my mom hadn't slept at all, so that was a problem, but thankfully, after some phone calls, my uncle agreed to drive my mom's car and my grandma drove me up to Duke.

We went through the ER because that was all we could do. The pediatric neurosurgery resident on call down there did a check of my shunt to see if the pressure was okay, and it was. That means that's not the reason that I'm in pain, but it also means I don't have to have another surgery. A CT and X-ray were done, too. However, since it's nighttime, nobody was really available, so tonight is just about trying to keep me comfortable till tomorrow when we can get some neurologists to consult on my case.

So yeah. That's about it. And I'll be flat honest, it's really hard to be optimistic right now because I am so freaking tired of being put in a stupid hospital. This is just not fair. I want to be a college student, and at this point it feels like I'm never going to get back to Campbell.

This just sucks.

5 comments:

  1. Mal,

    I'm so sorry that you're finding yourself back to square one again. I can't begin to imagine the frustration, coupled with the longing to simply be able to return to college as soon as physically possible. Although I've faced serious medical issues in the past, I have never faced what you're facing on regular basis, and I feel so helpless over here, wishing there was something I could do that would make a difference, but all I have is my sincere prayers, that God would heal you and relieve your burden, and that He would provide for you until those prayers are answered.


    ((((((((( hugs ))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paying for you - keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mallory. Im so sorry. So so sorry. I am praying for you. REally, you are on my mind and on my heart. Thinking about you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mallory, Just wondering how you are and to let you know that I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete