Saturday, March 12, 2016

One Good Thing

"The one good thing about me getting that job was that I got to meet you."

That's what a friend of mine told me tonight. He used to work at a place near my apartment but quit. We were on the phone tonight, and I mentioned that I miss seeing him (which I do), and that was what he said in response.

Now, don't worry, this isn't just another blog post about me gushing about some boy. It's not like that. I'm mentioning this because it got me thinking.

My friend, he hated that job. Like really hated it. Like, he doesn't have another job yet but is still so happy he doesn't work there anymore. Yet he still found a good thing that came from that experience.

How many times do I have the opportunity to do that, to find something positive in a situation that was not good, but choose not to? How many times do I let frustration or sadness or anger or whatever get in the way of me being grateful? Far too many, I'll tell you that much.

Perspective is everything. In a world this messed up and broken and scary and confusing, if we don't keep perspective, the darkness will destroy us. Satan will win and he'll steal any light we have if we give him the chance.

I know it's way easier said than done. I know depression, and I know how hard of a battle it is not to let the pain completely overtake you some days. But we have to at least try. Because if we don't try, what's the point? If we don't try to hold on to the beauty in life, what else do we have? Even just getting up out of bed can make a day a win. Give yourself credit for getting up and facing whatever comes at you.

When people start treating me or talking about me like I'm Superwoman, there's something I always tell them: I'm just trying to make the best out of the life I've been given. I know what it feels like when the darkness is controlling everything, but I also know grace and what it feels like when the love and power of a King pulls you through trials you know you couldn't have survived on your own. And that second thing, that grace? Trust me, it's way better.

So tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that, I'm gonna do my best to find at least one good thing in the day. Today that good thing was this reminder a friend gave me without even realizing he did it.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment