Sunday, May 10, 2015

My Mama


"But my ultimate inspiration comes from my best friend, the dazzling woman from whom I received my name and my life's blood...My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn't do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be. She filled our house with love and fun and books and music, unflagging in her efforts to give me role models from Jane Austen to Eudora Welty to Patti Smith. As she guided me through these incredible [almost twenty-three] years, I don't know if she ever realized that the person I most wanted to be was her."

That's from a scene in Gilmore Girls more than a decade ago, but ever since the first time I heard it, I've known that I could say the same thing about my mom.

Ever since I moved to New York, it's become more and more clear to me just how much I need my mom. And not just a mom, my mom.

She's amazing. Beautiful. Brilliant. Witty. So many other adjectives that would take me until next Mother's Day to list.

I'm so glad God saw fit to make her my mama.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment