Monday, August 6, 2012

Monuments, Memorials, Monday

Today, we started by going back to the Navy Memorial so I could introduce Mom and Mommom to my awesome coworkers.  Carrie gave them a tour of the Memorial because she has all of the historical details that I knew Mom would want to know memorized, and my mind was kind of fried by this point.

I also got a picture with Morgan, one of the other Ops boys who cracks me up. :)


After more than an hour there, we went over to Potbelly to get lunch, because I wanted one more of those amazing salads.  We took our time, and then went over to the Capitol.  Sam, an intern from Natalie's office (my mentor), gave us a tour, and he went way more in depth so I saw a lot I didn't get to see when I went with Natalie.  It was awesome.



The ornate ceilings reminded me of Versailles.



These gold plates mark where men who became Presidents' desks were when they served in the House. Fun fact: John Q. Adams is the only president to serve in the House AFTER he was president.


I loved seeing this wall dedicated to the victims of Flight 93, whose bravery saved the lives of countless people at the Capitol on 9/11.

We were there for several hours, and then we went back to the hotel for dinner.  We ate a lot of room service, but that's because it was SO good!  We watched a bit more of the Olympics before we got ready for our monument tour.

The tour was supposed to start at 7:30, but didn't get going until just before 8:00 due to some bus mix-ups.  It turned out to be a good thing because our bus driver was awesome.  We didn't get off at most of the stops because we've all seen the memorials before and we could see them lit up from the bus, and so while the rest of the group was off visiting them, our driver took the three of us past some special places that weren't on the tour.


This was one special stop, the Octagon House, where the Madisons fled when the British invaded the White House and burned it during the War of 1812.


This was another, a drive by of the World Bank


Mom kind of insisted I get a shot of the Jefferson Memorial as we drove by since we weren't stopping there.


I love this shot because of the reflection of the Washington Monument in the river


I was so glad to go to the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial since it is new and I love him.


MLK is so wise. 


Mom wanted a picture of her with this one, so I obliged.


One more quote that I loved.


And the awesome, and freaking HUGE, statue.


To give you an idea of scale....my mom is about 5'4".


<3



Then we got back on the bus, and we drove by the Iwo Jima Memorial, which honors the Marine Corps, and I got a picture of it in honor/memory of my grandpa.


We didn't get back to the hotel until almost midnight, and I took a shower, dried my hair, and crashed.  Oh, and my mom also shocked me and bought me my first ever alcoholic drink from the hotel bar.  I finally felt like she saw me as an adult at that point.  Weird.  I told Matt and he was even more shocked than I was.

Sleep was good.




No comments:

Post a Comment