Monday, September 9, 2013

Only at CU.

Alternately titled: I'm pretty sure this is when you reach "epic nerd status".

So every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I check my Twitter as I walk from class to the dining hall for lunch at 11:00.  Today, I saw that on Campbell's university Tumblr, they were talking about how one religion professor, Dr. Jonas, has his students in his Protestant Reformation class (a 300-level course, so they're all upperclassmen, and all but one are religion majors) live-tweet quotes from the class.  I was amazed that this was happening at this school, and I'm interested in the Reformation, so I went to check out the hashtag that all the students use in their tweets for easy access and following.

It looked absolutely awesome.  So tonight, I sent Dr. Jonas an email asking if I could come sit in and observe the class on Wednesday just to see what it was like.  Don't get me wrong, I love being a political science and French major, but with having two majors, all of my elective credits were used up really quickly, so I didn't have the opportunity to take many classes in other areas that interest me like most students.  I've also heard fantastic things about Dr. Jonas from several people, so I wanted to see what he's like.

Now, get this.  I've never met the man, yet within an hour I had a response: "Hey Mallory.  That would be just fine.  In fact, you could be our official Twitterer. You can add to the tweeting!" (Gotta love his word instead of "Tweeter") So just like that, I went from asking to sit in on one class to jumping into observing a class every day from now until the end of the semester.  But hey, I get to sit, listen, learn, and live-tweet, and don't have to do any of the work, and it's on days that I only have one class anyway?  Sounds like a win for me!

Life's surprises are such a blast sometimes.  And to boot, I have a friend in there that I'm going to love surprising come Wednesday.  I'm so excited for this.  I love this school.  I really don't know of anyone else that could say this would happen at their university.

Yes, you can call me a nerd if you would like.  I fully accept the title.

Oh and PS:  Fun fact about Campbell?  The majority of the Religion department professors are Democrats, including Dr. Jonas, who another friend of mine has told me is "not shy about it at all".  As well as every upper-level member of the administration.  At a Baptist-affiliated university.  Gotta love the irony.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment